Currently 140 Tralirs

Author Topic: [Quest] Spiders of the Barren's  (Read 1423 times)

RaWolfe

• Keeper
    • View Profile
    • The Citadel
[Quest] Spiders of the Barren's
« on: December 16, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
Alderworth Guards Central
Afternoon in North Creolluc

The city of Alderworth was a shining beacon of hope for a new life's to begin their journey. Many traders and bards visited the city that was nicknamed the Citadel for its high and fortified walls that reach up to the Barren Tips mountain layer. Alderworth was known for its exotic products, from fruits ut of the west to the fish out of the east, from the minerals that came from the mines in the Barren Tips that enriched many royals in the cities. The weather was nice and fairly warm as this adventure begins with a girl that just finished her academy career at Marblevale and stood at the gates of the Alderworth Guards Central.

A great building that didn't really function as the Alderworth Guards HQ, but more as a central gathering location for all quest seekers to get their jobs and contracts sorted. The building looked a bit equality to the roman style architecture and had pillars on the front with a short red roof that went quickly flat. There were some balconies at the side and the building was about 3 levels high. The girl stood at the gates with two guards standing at attention there, she looked with her big eyes up at the building as she held her long staff close to her. She looked impressed as the guards looked at each other not knowing how to start the conversation with the young girl. If she was like a normal human it wouldn't be a problem, however, she had fluffy ears, a tail that wiggled and was rather small. The clear signs of being an Ithiris and that means most of the time a royal.

"Do you require any help miss?" A guard finally spoke, looking at the girl from the eye corners of his helmet. The other one looked at her as well, but let his colleague do the talking for now. He was a bit wearier, it was after all not every day that royalty was standing at their gates with glittering eyes.

The girl snapped out of her focus and looked back at the guard that just spoke to her "I...I am here for a quest, this is my first time. Tis is the Alderworth Guards Central right?" She looked back at the large building that had beautiful red painted walls and the Alderworth Guards flag hanging at the side of two pillars.

The guard slowly nods "That is right, welcome to the AGC. This place is to help you out with quest and setting up contracts that you can extend to other adventurers. Just enter the building and go to the main desk with a grid before them. Those people can help you with the guidance in regards to any quest you like" The guard was more friendly then usually would, this was most likely to do with the fact that she was a royal Ithiris and needed more attention than others in regards to respect and kindness.

"Thank you, I will make myself known in the building then" She smiled and picked up her staff to lift it from the ground and walked the entree. Not noticing that the guards were following her entree, leaving them a bit clueless of what they just dealt with. When entering the AGC building she entered a great long hall with flags on both sides that were, again, hanging on pillars. yet at every section, there were paintings with great heroes posing their stand there. With greatly impressed eyes she slowly walked from side to side only to arrive in the main hallway. The area was immense big and there were many people sitting at couches, tables or standing at boards. As stated by the guard, her eyes felt onto a long desk with a grid on it that had people behind it. Some were in conversation with other adventurers and others were talking to each other.

Taking a deep breath she smiled softly and walked towards an empty box-desk and tapped onto the grid. The woman behind it looked at the noise that was made and saw the little Ithirian standing there "Yes? How can I help you?" She said with a friendly smile as the young girl nodded softly "Yes, yes you can! I am here for my first quest and something that has ranked Bronze" The woman smiled and nodded to her "Welcome to the AGC then, and congratulations on achieving your rank. The system that works here is simple, at that side..." She points at a large board that held many quests categorized on sections with ranks above it "....you can look for a quest that is currently given to anyone in Alderworth, of course, you require to be registered with the AGC so you can do those quest and get paid correctly. Pick a quest out and return to me, then I will link that quest to you and look for other similar ranked adventurers and let them contact you as soon as that is done you can do your quest. When the quest is completed you return to me and I will check out of the required criteria is met and pay out the reward based on the results. What is your name?" The lady finally finished her tutorial.

For a second she doubts a bit to talk, but finally, she spoke "Ava Olivia Aldithley, bronze ranked and contracted with the Marblevale Guild" Ava said as the woman nods and suddenly realized who she had in front of her "You...are the daughter of the viscountess?!" She said a bit in shock as Ava shrugs and scratch a bit awkwardly behind her ear "Yes....please keep it down, I hate to be in the center of all attention" The woman nods and apologizes quickly as she writes down the name, rank, and guild down "Please make your way to the board to get your fitted quest maám" Ava sighs and nods as she walks to the board hearing some mumbling around her and eyes staring at her "So far for a silent entree.."

Confusedfire

• View Profile
Re: [Quest] Spiders of the Barren's
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 01:37:09 PM »
Sophia Lillian Parsons had her long bow strapped over her back buried behind a green cape that ran from her neck down to her ankles. The light tan armor covered her clothing as she walked up towards the gate to the Alderworth Guard Central. It had been some time since she had taken a quest from them. Sophia had spent well over a week in the forested area outside of the city treating an injured animal that now lived with her parents and sister. Almost immediately after the nineteen year old had appeared in front of the gates the two guards went to attention.

“Miss Parsons,” One of them said to her.

Sophia came to a stop and looked over at him with a slight smile on her face, “Do you know if there are any quests worth my time?” She asked of the guard. The laughter soon echoed from the guards and she tilted her head slightly. “I’m joking of course,” She said though the two standing there seemed to understand that. “Good afternoon,” Sophia commented with a more serious tone in her voice.

“Good afternoon,” Both guards said simultaneously. "Miss Parsons," The guard on the left started, "You don't actually wear that cape when you go hunting do you?"

Sophia shook her head slowly, "Well," She started to say, "I did once, but that didn't exactly work out too terribly well for me." Her cheeks turned a slight shade of pink as she recalled the time she tried to go hunting in the green cape that her mother had gifted her a year ago. "I got caught in some brambles, the animal I was hunting escaped, and it took hours for me to cut myself out." She admitted as the pink shade slowly vanished from her face. She waited for the guards to start laughing again only this time it would have been at her expense, "I wear it around the city otherwise I take it off and roll it."

The guard on the left snickered, "I understand." He said and nodded before returning to his guarding duties.

Sophia nodded her head slowly then walked past the two of them so that she could enter the building. The distinct sound of laughter was all she heard as she walked through the building and she chose to ignore that. It didn’t take long for Sophia to get up to the area where the woman was sitting behind the counter. Sophia cleared her throat, “Good afternoon,” Sophia said politely, “What do you have available for today?” She placed both hands down onto the counter and tapped her fingers gently against its surface.

“Sophia!” The woman said from behind the counter, “Yes, we have a few contracts for you to take,” She then leaned forward and lowered her voice. “See the Ithirian over there? She’s new to this perhaps you could help her out some? She is also the daughter of the viscountess.” The woman leaned back once more and the smile returned to her face.

Sophia looked over her shoulder towards the short girl and remembered the first time she had entered this place to take on a contract. To compound the issue this Ithirian was related to someone very important to the city. The human girl was a bit surprised to see her in the building at all. Sophia made her way over towards the board, stood next to the girl, crossed her arms, and looked up. “So I understand you’re new to this?” Sophia asked quietly with a slight grin on her face.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 01:49:03 PM by Confusedfire »

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 03:30:04 AM »
Grumbling as she made her way through the city, Deryn was not happy that she was being sent to join a quest on her own this time. But Matilda was right, if she didn't start soon, she would never get anywhere. She had to make a name for herself. But, going to the Guards willingly was something new for her. Most of the time, when she saw a guard, they regarded her with suspicion and attempted to arrest her for something. Hopefully this time she wouldn't get the same troubles. She looked warily at the guards by the gate for a moment before she approached them.

Keeping her head down, she did her best to look inconspicuous as she walked past the guards and into the main building. Stepping up to the desk she cleared her throat. "I'm here to join a quest, what's available?"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:52:37 AM by RachOwl »

Taral81424

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 06:25:13 PM »
Taral knew this part of the Citadel well. Though she was more familiar with the Alderworth Guards' real Headquarters, this gathering place for those willing to take on quests for the city and the guilds was one she came to often enough as a girl. But this was her first time in this part of North Creolluc since the ultimatum that drove her from her family home.

A low profile was critical. She risked being recognized by those who knew her family. And try as she might, she just wasn't very good as sneaking. Even under a cloak, her small stature and vibrant teal hair, ears, and tail were all too easy to spot. So instead of walking into the neighbourhood as normal, in the privacy of an outhouse she transformed herself into a cat first. Nobody looked twice at a stray cat wandering the streets, likely hunting a mouse or finding scraps in the trash. The most attention she got was a little boy who wanted to scratch behind her ears. She obliged him before venturing further and into an alley next to the quest building, where she returned to Ithiris form. Taral gave a silent thanks for her Druid training, put her hood up, and as unassumingly as possible entered the building, nodding to the guards but showing evidence of her membership in the Marblevale Guild as she passed.

There were a few people present, mostly human, but a shorter Ithiris was among them too.

She approached the desk and sidled next to the medium-sized human woman already present. "Excuse me, but I'm also looking for a quest to perform on behalf of the city."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:30:02 PM by Taral81424 »

RaWolfe

• Keeper
    • View Profile
    • The Citadel
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 06:56:10 PM »
"I'm here to join a quest, what's available?"

The man looked at the little woman, ragtag and ready to live on the streets. These people were not his favorite kind to deal with. But they had the right to earn a coin and something of it. Yet he had witnessed the whole entree of that royal and it made him wonder what was the best option in this matter. He looked back at the woman and wanted to speak up as another arrived that spoke next to him and made him look at her as well.

"Excuse me, but I'm also looking for a quest to perform on behalf of the city."

"Get here girl, I got a quest for both of you if you are up to it" He leans forward and leaned onto the side of his desk then looked in the direction of Ava "That girl is the first time here, she needs all the help she can get with this quest. Its a quest to get into the Barren Tips and deal with some spiders that have been attacking local merchants. Deal with the spiders and you all get the coin for it" He looked back at them "Now hush get going..." He gave them a soft smile.

Meanwhile back at Ava and Sophia “So I understand you’re new to this?"

Looking at the lady standing there, as Ava blinked a few times "Yes, how did you...." She waved her hand a bit "Nevermind, most likely the people there told you who I am....You are doing the quest for the Spiders of Barren's?" Ava already took the pamphlet from the board and reached it out to Sophia. The picture was a drawn spider with red marking on it, the description bellow it showed a short summary of what was actually asked of them.

Merchants have been attacked by a newly planted nest that is now harassing the convoys to and from Alderworth. Your task is simple, clean the route and get rid of those nest so that the merchants can travel the passage without worry

"It sounds rather dangerous, we need more folks for this one...what class are you?" Ava noticed the bow "Archer?" She softly smiles "I am a sorcerer...pleasure to meet you!"

Taral81424

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 04:32:06 PM »
Taral walked away from the desk to stand with her new team. The Rogue who appeared to be with the Shadowshapers. The Sunbrawler Ranger. The Ithiris Sorceress who was the same age she was. She looked familiar; they had probably crossed paths before at the Academy.

“So we’re hunting spiders then?” she asked, not really to anyone. She looked to the Sorceress. “What does the pamphlet say about the spiders? Size, numbers, anything like that?”

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 10:02:06 PM »
With a nod to the man behind the desk, Deryn moved to stand with the others he indicated were doing the quest as well. She eyed the Ithitris who had come to the desk before she received information from the man. 'Of course I'd have to work with sore thumbs like her,' she thought bitterly looking at the bright hair and eyes of the woman.

"How many merchants have been attacked? Have they given accounts of their encounters with these spiders?" She said, moving to lean against the wall and watch her fellows. Though it wasn't exactly what she was looking for, she was sure this was going to be an interesting quest indeed. Deryn just hoped there would be plenty to pilfer as well as plenty of chance to hone her skills.

RaWolfe

• Keeper
    • View Profile
    • The Citadel
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 01:39:17 PM »
“So we’re hunting spiders then?” “What does the pamphlet say about the spiders? Size, numbers, anything like that?”

They spoke normally to her and in a way, Ava liked that, she was not carried on hands because she was the Viscountess daughter or merely they didn't know. Turning the pamphlet around there was a drawing of a large spider on it "About 1 meter and 50 to 70 cm in height...numbers are a rough range between 5 to 50 in different sizes. They are known to attack sheep flocks or other creatures that go to close to the Barren Tips and their nest" Ava spoke as she tried to observe the behavior and reactions of them.

"How many merchants have been attacked? Have they given accounts of their encounters with these spiders?"

Looking at the roguelike woman, Ava blinks a bit at her appearance "So far the quest giver told me that two convoys of roughly 8 people in each convoy got attacked. No further information was given, which is understandable as their credibility with Brightlanders Guild or this city would be lower. We are just asked to deal with the given situation"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 08:04:03 PM by RaWolfe »

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 08:14:21 PM »
"So far the quest giver told me that two convoys of roughly 8 people in each convoy got attacked. No further information was given, which is understandable as their credibility with Brightlanders Guild or this city would be lower. We are just asked to deal with the given situation"

"Fair enough," Deryn said with a shrug. "Just wanting to know what we're up against," she added, noticing the judging looks she was getting. Crossing her arms over her chest, she stood against the wall with a slight scowl on her face. She'd cleaned up before coming here, why did everyone look at her like she was covered in filth?

What, just because her clothing was slightly torn? It's not like she had the coin to buy the fancy gear the rest of these so-called adventurers were wearing. Besides, would it really matter when the job was done and they were all in the same rough looking state? Deryn saw no reason to wear good clothing on an adventure where they would almost certainly be attacked by monstrous spiders.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 01:31:30 AM by RachOwl »

Confusedfire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 02:59:53 PM »
"It sounds rather dangerous, we need more folks for this one...what class are you?" Ava noticed the bow "Archer?" She softly smiles "I am a sorcerer...pleasure to meet you!"

Sophie didn't look towards the girl, "Of a sorts," She said quickly. "I'm a ranger though I've been hunting since I was a small girl my family even have a small cabin beyond the city walls in the forests. My sister and I have been going there with our parents since I was quite young and my father taught me how to survive out there." It was shortly thereafter that two more people had arrived there looking at the same quest. Sophie didn't mind working with others, but she preferred to do things alone.

“So we’re hunting spiders then?” “What does the pamphlet say about the spiders? Size, numbers, anything like that?”

"About 1 meter and 50 to 70 cm in height...numbers are a rough range between 5 to 50 in different sizes. They are known to attack sheep flocks or other creatures that go to close to the Barren Tips and their nest."

"How many merchants have been attacked? Have they given accounts of their encounters with these spiders?"

"So far the quest giver told me that two convoys of roughly 8 people in each convoy got attacked. No further information was given, which is understandable as their credibility with Brightlanders Guild or this city would be lower. We are just asked to deal with the given situation."

Sophie listened to the conversation that they were having analyzing their words as each of them spoke asking questions and Ava answering those questions. "How do you propose that we stop them from attacking trade convoys in the future? We can't just go in there and wipe out an entire species and while I've never ran into spiders during my hunting expeditions I'm most certain that there are other nests in the area..."

The answer to Sophie's question mattered little regardless because this was the chosen contract for Ava and Sophie had been asked to help the girl out. Sophie was always one to go out of her way to help others out regardless who they were affiliated with and even if they were royalty. She may not have recognized the other two, but soon enough she would know who they were... The types of people they were.

Taral81424

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 10:40:55 PM »
"How do you propose that we stop them from attacking trade convoys in the future? We can't just go in there and wipe out an entire species and while I've never ran into spiders during my hunting expeditions I'm most certain that there are other nests in the area..."

“I agree with the Ranger,” Taral declared, her eyes locked with Sophie’s. “I won’t be party to an extermination. But something has made these spiders either more numerous or more aggressive. Or both. Or something that’s just making them go after the merchants instead of their usual feeding grounds. I would wager that there’s some other force at play, whether natural or man-made. It might even be something the merchants are doing.” She knew merchants well, and wouldn’t be surprised if they were responsible for the attacks. “We find what’s disrupting the spiders and fix that. Problem solved. We get our coin. All without killing an innocent spider.”

Kris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 11:42:17 AM »
Lia had known she was running late.  She had been working on something and, as per usual, run out of time.  She ran as quickly as she could without running anyone over towards the Alderworth Guard Center, only to see one of the guards sneering at her.  This time, it was one she knew.  “Late again, Nailo.  Really, you’d think on a day you were getting your first quest that you’d be paying attention to the time.”

Rolling her eyes as the other guard nodded her in, she stopped in front of the one who sneered at her and handed him something small that she was holding.  “If I had been, you wouldn’t have your upgrade you asked me for.”  She gave a mischievous grin and nodded politely to the other guard before stepping forward, this time not running.

Once inside, she spoke to the one at the desk, looking for a bronze quest.  The woman looked at her, raising an eyebrow.  “You’re lucky, there is one spot left for this particular quest.  But, I think you’re barely making it in.  They are already meeting.”  Noting where she had to go, Lia gave a smile and nod to the woman.  “That’s what I get for overworking.  Thank you.”

Fast-walking towards where she needed to go, Lia Nailo stopped when she heard All without killing an innocent spider..  She looked at those gathered, “I…take it I missed something?  I apologize for being late.”

RaWolfe

• Keeper
    • View Profile
    • The Citadel
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 11:58:59 AM »
"Just wanting to know what we're up against,"

Wanting to be sarcastic in response to that, but she lifts her shoulders a bit up and replied "Spiders?" She pointed out the obvious to the woman that wanted to know as many details about the situation that they were going to get into. Ava just laid a bit back and listens to the others as the team was slowly filling up.

"How do you propose that we stop them from attacking trade convoys in the future? We can't just go in there and wipe out an entire species and while I've never ran into spiders during my hunting expeditions I'm most certain that there are other nests in the area..."

“I agree with the Ranger,” “I won’t be party to an extermination. But something has made these spiders either more numerous or more aggressive. Or both. Or something that’s just making them go after the merchants instead of their usual feeding grounds. I would wager that there’s some other force at play, whether natural or man-made. It might even be something the merchants are doing.” “We find what’s disrupting the spiders and fix that. Problem solved. We get our coin. All without killing an innocent spider.”

Wanting to facepalm herself as she should have expected a druid to respond like that, the woman loves nature and most likely the other way around. A chill went down Ava spine by the idea how Taral would cuddle with a spider. But she heard another voice and Ava looked at her direction and blinked.

“I…take it I missed something?  I apologize for being late.”

Shaking her head "Name is Ava, you are just on time as we are leaving and discussing the best approach on the way to the Barren Tips" Ava eyed Taral a bit and gave Lia the pamphlet with the information on the quest "Brightlanders wants us to deal with this problem, one way or another. If it means that we will be destroying nest or spiders in act of defense...we shall" Ava looked at the rest "Let's go to the location and see what the situation is, we can't fill in the gaps without actually seeing what is happening"

With that said, she turned around and tapped her staff on the floor as Ava started to walk out of the hall to make her way out of the building. The city was alive, lots of market dealing, lots of people on the streets and wagons with horses moving over it coming from Brightlanders. When they left the north gate after a good ten minutes walk, they could see the large mountain tips of Barren Tips, the place always impressed Ava and knew that on these grounds was the battle of Skorvia for last fought, some remnants of the invasion was shown at the side of the routes. Large ruins where a tower had ones stood was never rebuild, at the other side some big crate holes of magic that exploded.

"So does anyone have any experience with the Barren Tips?" Ava spoke as they walked over the pathway that leads deeper into the mountains.

Taral81424

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 08:31:16 PM »
"No," Taral said, shaking her head as they walked. "I've studied maps of the area but I spend most of my time in the Western woods. From what I have seen though, it looks to be very pretty."

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 01:36:47 AM »
"I've been there once a few years ago. With my guardian. She was collecting some herb or something, it was boring. Nice scenery though," Deryn said with a shrug. "Don't recall any spiders there back then."