Currently 140 Tralirs

Author Topic: [Quest] Spiders of the Barren's  (Read 1425 times)

Kris

• View Profile
Re: [Quest] Spiders of the Barren's
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 11:38:30 AM »
Lia took what was handed to her and made sure she still had all her gear since she had rushed to get here.  "I've never been there," she said softly as she read things over. 

Confusedfire

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 01:31:54 PM »
"So does anyone have any experience with the Barren Tips?"

Sophie had gone hunting there a couple of times and as she walked along beside Ava with her arms dangling freely at her side she nodded her head quickly. "I've gone on a number of hunting expeditions there both on my own and with my father," Sophie told Ava calmly. "As I said before I never ran into any spiders or nests. "The easiest way is to take the same trade route as the merchants do, and we may run into some of them. The merchants I mean..."

Sophie took a moment to think about what she wanted to say next before continuing, "And, we may be able to determine which direction the spiders are coming from when they attack the merchants," She commented. "I can track them once we locate an area where the merchants were attacked so long as the tracks are no more than a day or two in age."

RaWolfe

• Keeper
    • View Profile
    • The Citadel
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 12:35:41 PM »
"And, we may be able to determine which direction the spiders are coming from when they attack the merchants," "I can track them once we locate an area where the merchants were attacked so long as the tracks are no more than a day or two in age."

They pretty much all didn't know about the Barren Tips, well except for Deryn and Sophie as Ava looked at Sophie "That would be a proper thing to do...it is as ...ahh" Looking at Taral as she let one ear hang "Taral?..." Ava nods to herself "Said it might be a disturbance in the area that the spiders moved from the natural habited. We need to go to the last known location of the attack and investigate the area...I would support the idea of Sophie and trace the direction of the spiders...find out what is going on" Ava made the suggestion.

The team moved further into the mountains as they get deeper and somewhat higher, they could clearly see Alderworth behind them getting further and Ava gave it a glance "I will be back mom..." She mutters to herself and continued her walk leaning mostly on her staff while she was walking. The area was rough, but doable for animals, travelers and wagons to get through, yet Ava knew from her training that this was also an obvious place for ambushes and such. It didn't take long to get to the road where the attack happened, lots of plans, broken wagons and even a death large spider laying on its back was there "Sophie can you do something about the traces you think?" Ava asked as she looked around.

Off-Topic: ShowHide
Feel free to be creative of what you see, find and such.

Confusedfire

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 11:23:01 PM »
Sophia had previously taken the cloak and cape off, rolled it, and put it in her pack before they had started on their journey into the barren tips. She had made the mistake of wearing it on a hunt before that was certainly not going to happen again. Her armor was now completely visible as was the bow strapped over her shoulder, her quiver filled with arrows, and her other weapons. Sophia kept her hand up on her bow during much of the traveling out of habit in case she needed it quickly.

"Sophia can you do something about the traces you think?"

The question was posed almost immediately after they had arrived in an area where there had been an attack. Sophia looked at the broken wagons first, "I didn't even know..." She muttered to herself before wandering over to the dead spider that laid on its back nearby. Sophia looked it over for a moment lifting a portion of the creature up. It had a dagger wound in it's abdomen, which was most likely the fatal wound it had suffered.

It had been dead for less than a day, Sophia could immediately tell that while the body would have already begun to decay it wasn't immediately obvious. She placed her hand against its fangs and closed her eyes for a moment in order to get a sense as to the body temperature in order to confirm her suspicions that it hadn't been dead long. Satisfied after a brief moment she reopened them, "This has been dead for less than a day." She said over her shoulder to the others.

Sophia looked next to the ground where she saw that the dirt had been shifted and there was indication of tracks that led off the road and behind where the dead spider was laying. Sophia stood up, "The tracks lead off in that direction. I cannot get an exact count of spiders that went in that direction of course, but there are several." Sophia told them. She closed her eyes again for another moment in order to attempt to detect them...

She opened her eyes, "There is a group of spiders in that direction within five miles," Sophia said though she couldn't be exactly how far away they were. Sophia then grabbed out a vial and knelt down in front of the spider's fang because you never know when spider poison could be useful. She then successfully extracted enough poison to fill the vial. "Here you go," She said and handed the vial to Deryn after putting a cap on it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 11:54:39 PM by Confusedfire »

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 12:11:02 AM »
"Here you go."

Deryn looked at the vial of poison, then back to Sophia. "Uh... thanks," she said and made the vial disappear into one of her inner pockets. She wasn't sure why the ranger would not only extract the poison, but give it to her. But, she wasn't about to question it. After securing the vial, Deryn moved to the remains of the merchant's wagon and knelt down.

She muttered to herself as she shifted about slightly. "They came in from this direction," she indicated the direction that the spiders were currently in according to Sophia. "But they left in that direction," she waved her arm vaguely left of her position. "I'd say four came in, three left, one limping... so they managed to injure one."

Standing up, empty handed and looking vaguely disappointed, Deryn turned back to the rest. "Hey, the hunter's not the only one that can read footprints..."

Taral81424

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 12:53:54 AM »
The Druid examined the body of the giant dead spider after the Ranger had left it with the vial of poison. Leaving it like it was naught but trash. But she knew better.

Taral retrieved her dagger and cut open the spider. She carefully, deftly, opened the carapace, being careful not to damage anything underneath. After a moment, she let out a sigh. “The fatal injury damaged most of the abdomen. A lot of this is ruined. But we mustn’t waste anything. Her death must not be entirely tragic.”

She cut open each leg and pulled out as much meat as she could. Spider meat wasn’t the best, but cooked right she knew she could feed the party something delicious.

“You gave as much as you could,” she whispered to the spider corpse. “Thank you.”

She stood and faced the rest of the party. “Alright. Let’s find out what’s driven them to attack people.”

Kris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 03:15:05 AM »
Someone remind me why I decided to go on this quest... Lia thought to herself as she adjusted her bag on her shoulder.  "Lovely...spider food, spider poison...I don't think there is anything on that spider I have any need of." 

She hung towards the back of the group, glad the others at least were getting some use out of what they'd found so far.  She was better at doing things herself, so being with a group like this was a bit uncomfortable.  However, she also knew that there would be more group quests than personal quests, so she would need to get used to it.

Pulling some string from her pocket, she tied her hair up and out of her face.

RaWolfe

• Keeper
    • View Profile
    • The Citadel
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 08:05:48 AM »
Seeing the druid doing her thing by 'preserving' what nature provided is a thing that Ava didn't really understand. But she was surprised to see how the team was already working in some form together to get the quest to success. Ava nodded to Sophia and Deryn "We got to move then, but before we do..." She whispers a few words the others most likely would not recognize and taps her staff twice onto the ground. It was like if a pulse was shot from the top of the staff as Ava blinked a few times her eyes and looked around carefully. Her eyes stopped at the raided spider body and narrow her eyes.

A faint green aura appeared at the spider body that only Ava could see, she felt another pulse from the direction that Sophia and Deryn and looked at the trail of the green aura that became bigger on various spots "Magic...magic was used here and on the spider. I can't identify if it was defensive, offensive or other kinds of spells.  Thought..." She points at the direction "It becomes bigger and stronger in the direction that was pointed at. We are dealing with an experienced mage user"

With that said she began to walk onto the rocky shaped that was not meant to be used as walking. These spiders were spooked by something and Ava was wondering what was going on. She moved with the rest of the team into the more grown bushes and difficult terrain area. Eventually, Ava was glad that there were no spiders lurking anywhere. She kneels down on top of a rock and looked at the direction as the aura fainted away due to the spell being done. But the spell had succeeded in its task, spiders were right ahead consuming bodies of unknown origins "This tends to complicates things...."

Taral81424

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 05:45:38 PM »
"This tends to complicates things...."

Taral sighed as she saw several spiders ahead of the group, feasting away. There was very likely no avoiding harming these creatures, whom the sorceress Ithiris had said were under the influence of a magic user. "Whoever is influencing these beasts will pay for his or her crimes."

She looked for some path around the spiders, like a trail that went around them, giving them a wide berth. She had no such luck. However....

"Anyone interested in climbing some trees today?"

She pointed to the tree canopy. Low enough that the party could probably climb up, high enough that they would be safe from the spiders, and strong enough that they'd not break under their weight. But there was a risk of fall. If someone fell into the cluster of spiders, they would need to fight.

Kris

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2020, 11:29:06 AM »
Lia got closer when the tree was mentioned and looked up into it, both judging the branches, likely as Taral had done, as well as trying to see if maybe the spiders, even with their size, might have climbed up into the tree.

She tilted her head and squinted a bit, trying to find marks in the bark or something similar.  Any evidence of anything being up there or having been up there in the past.  But she sighed softly.

"Well, something has been up there, but those marks I see could be any animal.  There is no way to tell, and considering where we are?  But...I don't think there's anything right now so, I think we should go for it."

Tags

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 08:48:16 PM »
With a shrug, Deryn practically launched herself up the tree. However, she only got a few meters off the ground when the scratched up bark gave way and she went tumbling down. "Oh shiiii...." she braced herself for impact.

Confusedfire

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 11:16:03 PM »
Sophia watched as Deryn attempted to climb the tree only to lose her footing, or something, and come tumbling back down towards the ground again. Sophia removed her bow and quiver when she realized she was close enough to catch the falling Deryn. Sophia was giggling as she quickly sidestepped so that she was underneath the tree and the falling Deryn, "I gotcha!" She said between giggle fits. Sophia caught her as she came to just above the ground and was knocked backwards onto her butt, "Caught you," She huffed underneath the Rogue. "Dare I ask what happened?"

The fall and commotion didn't go entirely unnoticed though because Sophia happened to notice the spiders had stopped eating whatever it was that they were chewing on and looked around. She immediately went dead quite and placed her finger over her lips so that the others knew to be quiet. The spiders were mildly alerted to their presence, but hadn't quite noticed them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:20:40 PM by Confusedfire »

RaWolfe

• Keeper
    • View Profile
    • The Citadel
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 11:47:03 PM »
The whole commotion was a bitter taste for Ava, now she had to deal with a clumpsy rogue? What was next, a ranger that can't fire her arrows or worse forgot her arrows. She hides behind the rock as the spiders have indeed notice something. Ava looked at Sophia and then slowly looked at the spiders that were searching the area, but didn't leave their prey alone. Taking a deep breath, she bends forward and grabs a stone then throws it at the other side of them as two went for it to investigate. The third one saw his pick free and continues to nibble onto the victim some more.

"Move..." Ava whispers as she placed her staff on her back and started to climb the tree to get towards a new height and eventually got at the side of where Taral was standing on a rock. They moved closer, but still on a safe distance. The other spiders had not yet returned and yet for some reason felt uneased about the whole situation "Sophia, Deryn do any of you notice something not right or do you guys see something?"

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2020, 05:29:04 PM »
"Dare I ask what happened?"

Deryn simply held up the two pieces of bark in her hands that had come away, causing her to fall. She scrambled to her feet, dropping the bark on the ground softly so as to not attract anymore attention. Leaving Sophia on the ground after she helped her felt wrong, even for a thief, so she held her hand out to the girl to help her up.

TAG Sophia

After attempting to climb the tree, but not being able to hold on tight due to a splinter in her palm, Deryn did her best to remove the thing before giving up and looking around. She closed her eyes and took a deep, steadying breath before picking out a path to the druid. After a nod to herself, she moved quietly, using her stealth training, to Taral's side.

"Sophia, Deryn do any of you notice something not right or do you guys see something?"

Looking around, Deryn tried her best to figure out what was different. Unfortunately, the sliver in her hand combined with the embarrassment of falling out of the tree, made for one distracted Deryn. Frustrated with herself and her failures in front of this new group of people, she was unable to discern anything. She shook her head to answer Ava and went back to picking the sliver out of her hand. Grumbling and muttering dark things under her breath.

Kris

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2020, 06:20:20 PM »
Lia watched what happened, but was too far away to even attempt to render any assistance to Deryn.  But she at least had caught up to the group after lingering behind for a little while.  Her eyes looked back up the tree again and she tried to find the best way up.

“I guess I can try to get up there,” she finally said and, after making sure all of her gear was secure, started on her way up the tree.  She was making sure that each foot hold could also hold the others, and hoped that they were watching her as she climbed.  She inched closer and closer to the top, checking her progress as she went along.  However, even with the top in sight, she couldn’t see anymore hand holds, and sighed.

Moving over to sit on the last branch she could get to that would hold her weight, she looked back down to the others.  “Unless someone lighter than me wants to try, I don’t think we can get to the very top!”