Currently 140 Tralirs

Author Topic: [Quest]: Silver and Gold  (Read 1544 times)

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
Re: [Quest]: Silver and Gold
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2020, 06:59:01 PM »
"Well," Temisar said, kneeling down and putting tips on her boots, "We have to stop these armadillos from raiding the farms over that way." The ranger pointed over to the southwest. "And the bards pay us extra if we bring them back some hides. And that last part is kind of hard if the armadillo is still alive. So, um,, yeah, we gotta kill them."

KahlessNestor

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2020, 06:51:08 AM »
Giant Armadillo Valley
Afternoon

“Well, if that sword is in that good a condition after being out here this long, I’m thinking there is more to it than just steel,” Theodore said. He pulled the sword and scabbard off of the man. “I don’t think you’ll be needing this, my friend. Hopefully you are in a better place.” Pulling the sword from the scabbard, he took a few experimental swipes with it, testing its weight and balance.

Then another woman emerged from the trees, and Theo stared as Temisar the ranger went up and...kissed her?! Damn. That was hot, Theo thought, all thoughts of armadillos now no longer in his head.

Temisar was pulling on climbing gear, and Theo blinked, trying to push away the images of her and this Sasha girl. “Um, climbing, right,” he said. “I don’t have any climbing gear except rope, but I’m not a bad climber,” he told the ranger as he pulled out his rope.

Theo looked over at Sasha. “I wouldn’t get too worried, beautiful,” he told the druid. “These aren’t...normal armadillos. They’re way bigger than they should be. We saw one earlier that was the size of a grizzly bear!”

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 04:44:17 PM »
Temisar turned around, about to make a wisecrack (and where had all this newfound confidence come from?) when the broadsword Theodore had picked up started glowing blue.

"What the f---" she said, staring. The sword just glowed brighter as it turned a light, ice blue.

It feels freezing over here, Temisar thought. I can't imagine what it feels like over there.

And suddenly the light, the broadsword and the sudden temperature drop suddenly disappeared.

Theodore's great sword started glowing ice blue, and Temisar wondered if whatever had infected that broadsword was going to "freeze melt" all their weapons.

But the great sword returned to normal. Almost normal, any way. Unseen by Temisar (and presumably anyone else who didn't have sight at the hilt of Theodore's great sword), a small snowflake had been inscribed by the hilt of Theodore's sword.

"What the unnumbered hells was that?" Temisar asked, staring at Theodore.

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2020, 07:58:54 PM »
"Normal or not, they are living creatures, part of nature. I don't agree with the senseless killing of these creatures. However, if you must, I insist that we take as much from them as possible," Sascha said, crossing her arms over her chest. She rolled her eyes at the man who called her beautiful.

"My name is Sascha," she said to him lightly, as though reminding him in case he'd forgotten it. "And I'm not worried about the armadillos, I'm worried about you going around killing everything for fun."

KahlessNestor

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 07:22:30 AM »
Giant Armadillo Valley
Afternoon

Theodore grinned as he stared at the sword. He studied the snowflake rune on the hilt. “I told you there was something more to this sword if it had stayed in this condition out here this long,” he said. “I’ve only heard of such things, but I think it’s a magic sword.”

“No one is here killing armadillos for fun,” Theo told Sascha. “We’re killing them for coin. And we’ll take as much as we can. That’s what the wagon is for,” he assured the druid. “It’s not like we can talk to them and convince them to stop trampling the sacred mushrooms and farmer’s fields and all that,” he pointed out to the woman.

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »
"Speaking of mushrooms," Temisar said, as she came sliding down the rope from the cliff, "I've got good news and bad news."

Temisar was about to say something to Theodore about his newly transformed great sword, but decided not to get distracted from what she was going to report.

"Those cave openings up there?" she said, pointing at the cliffs. "They got at an angle, before dropping straight down. So there's no way we could use them to fire down on the giant armadillos. Though as big as that one we saw come out earlier, I guess we should call them giant giant armadillos."

"So the only way we're going to get at those armadillos is to go straight in," Temisar said, pointing at the cave entrance. "And I've never tried to go an armadillo of any kind in its lair. Much less a lair I could actually walk into." Temisar shrugged as she added. "I suppose we could wait outside and wait for a few of them to come out when the sun sets, and then go in and get the rest. Or wait until tomorrow and go in there when most of them will be asleep. Though I suspect when we go in there and start killing a few, the rest will wake up."

Temisar shook her head. "Bear sized armadillos all living together in a cave. I wouldn't even know where to begin with all of that."

"But the good news with all that," Temisar said, looking back up at the smaller cave entrances on top of the cliffs, "Is all those caves up there? Chock full of golden mushrooms. I'd say twenty bags easily. They get kind of narrow, though, so we'd have to lower the smaller members of our merry band in there to pick them." Temisar eyed Sascha and Eulalia thoughtfully.

RaWolfe

• Keeper
    • View Profile
    • The Citadel
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2020, 12:18:41 AM »
Eulalia was mostly keeping to herself, though she did notice that the other guy went away. At first, she thought he was taking a piss or something, then he stayed away and she changed her mind and knew that hew as taking a dump....a a big one. That man had some stomach pain for staying away for so long. But it was only then that Eulalia noticed another woman and blinks a bit, where did she come from? Is this maybe the guy but transformed into a woman, nice trick. She sages nod to that and blinks hearing something about the mushrooms.

Taking a deep breath and grabs a bag "I will go, I hate waiting anyway..." With that being said, she started to climb up towards the cave and placed one careful step after another. Then slowly enters the cave noticing the creatures "Well...that's big" she whispers.

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 08:48:11 AM »
Well, she scaled that quickly, Temisar thought to herself. And without proper climbing equipment, she mentally added.

Before the ranger could offer the smaller woman any assistance, she quickly disappeared down the hole up above.

When Temisar was younger and could fit down those holes, she could have scrambled in and out of them quickly. But she usually didn't descend without a rope tied around her waist, in case she got stuck and needed help back up.

Eulalia, apparently, preferred speed and stealth over security. That only confirmed Temisar's suspicions about her.

Lot of strange things going on around here, Temisar thought to herself, as she scrambled back up the cliffs to the entrance of the hole Eulalia had disappeared down. Like that broadsword the Sunbrawler had picked up, disappearing in a glow of blue light, and then that same blue light appearing around the Sunbrawler's great sword. By the grin on the Sunbrawler's face, he certainly didn[t disapprove of whatever had happened to the great sword.

Temisar reached the hole that Eulalia had disappeared down and looked in. The other woman had disappeared around a bend, out of Temisar's sight. The echo and amplification of a whisper was distorted as it reached Temisar. She couldn't tell exactly what the other woman had whispered, but she thought she heard the word 'big.'

Damn, the ranger thought to herself, I can't yell down what's wrong, just in case whatever this "big" thing is, hasn't spotted her. I'm hoping it's just one of giant giant armadillos.

Temisar wished the other woman had waited for somebody to attach a rope to her before she went down that hole. Because the ranger would definitely be hauling her up fast right now.

KahlessNestor

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2020, 07:31:35 AM »
Giant Armadillo Valley
Afternoon

Theodore sheathed the new sword and rejoined the discussion. “Might as well do the easy part, then, and gather the mushrooms before we try killing the armored bears,” he had to agree. He didn’t expect little Eulalia to just shimmy up the cliff face and into the holes right off

“Um...maybe we do it without the risk of falling?”

Theo grabbed the rope and climbed up to the cave entrances, settling opposite Temisar. He pulled out his rope and secured it, then started lowering it into the hole. “Hopefully she gets the message,” he told the attractive ranger.

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2020, 12:44:48 AM »
Sascha shook her head as the other 'small woman' took off quickly. She sighed as she realized that she was the other one to be sent in for mushrooms. Taking a moment to steady herself, Sascha took a deep breath and then climbed up the taller woman's rope. "So, golden mushrooms then?" she asked as she looked into the cave opening, suddenly wishing she had better dark vision.

What she did have, though, was a rope. She tied one end around herself carefully, then handed the other end to Temisar. "Don't let me go," she said with cheekily before carefully making her way into the cave. Once past the opening, she stopped for a moment to let her eyes adjust. It took a moment of Sascha blinking into the darkness before she could see again. "Why did I come with them again?" She whispered to herself as she moved further into the cave to start gathering some of these precious mushrooms. She hoped she could find some other useful items in the cave as well.

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2020, 02:30:06 PM »
Temisar blinked in surprise that the two smaller women went down in the holes without much cajoling. At least the woman she had kissed had taken a rope with her down into the hole, so if something happened, Temisar would be able to pull her back up.

The ranger looked worriedly at the other hole, though. They had heard the word 'big', and nothing else. If worse came to worse...well, both of these holes were simply too small for either her to descend into, and definitely too big for the Sunbrawler to fit into.

And the Sunbrawler seemed pretty smug about that blue glow that had settled on his great sword, after the broadsword they had picked off the skeleton had simply disappeared. What was that all about? Temisar had heard stories about magical swords and wishes and all sorts of things all her life, but never about anything like blue glows moving from one sword to another. Maybe it would be worth giving a bard a silver coin if they could sing or tell a tale about blue glows and vanishing broadswords.

And speaking of bards, what were they going to do about those giant armadillos? They were big as bears! Maybe they'd be able to kill two or three, skin one for the bards, and take it back to town, along with a few sacks of golden  mushrooms, and make a few silver pieces a piece. But going in and trying to kill a cave full of bear sized armadillos? That was nuts!

Just concentrate on the job at hand, the ranger told herself. With that, she watched the tension on the rope of the  little druid as she descended into the hole to collect golden mushrooms.

RaWolfe

• Keeper
    • View Profile
    • The Citadel
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2020, 09:48:03 PM »
The cave was big, it had various levels of height and some of these creatures were either sleeping or just moving around slowly. Eulalia was moving from rock to ledge, grabbing the mushrooms slowly as she made up the rocks. She leans backward, hanging over the ledge and grabbed a few of the mushrooms as she looked down seeing one of the Armadillo sleeping and blinked "I do wonder if I could ride one of these..." Eulalia thinks for a second and noticed the others entering the cave also "Why are they entering, if there are too many these big fellows will panic.." She waved to them to stop and turn around.

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2020, 05:23:53 PM »
Sascha felt the rope go taught, though it kept moving with her as she lowered herself down the hole. It was a tight squeeze, but so far she was able to traverse the space without getting stuck. Once she was out of the main hole down, she saw a small tunnel off to her left full of mushrooms. The problem would be getting them back up with her. She had a sack, but if she filled it too much, it would get stuck in that hole.

Thinking for a moment, she sat on the edge of the ledge careful to not be seen by the armadillos, not that they could really look up all that well. In a moment of inspiration, Sascha pulled off her leather armor and removed the cotton undershirt she wore. She then pulled the leathers back on and tied off the bottom of the shirt. Then she tied the arms together to make a handle for it. She could fill the sack and the shirt with mushrooms and tie them to the rope above her.

Smiling at her ingenious idea, she began plucking mushrooms and filling her sack and shirt. It would take a while to get enough to fill both, but neither would be too full else they'd not be able to get them up the tunnel. As she picked each one, she whispered a thanks to them and the earth for giving them such a bountiful crop.

KahlessNestor

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2020, 06:40:29 AM »
Giant Armadillo Valley
Afternoon

The rogue hadn’t tugged the rope or anything. Theodore wondered if she’d seen it. Hopefully she would be okay, because there was no way he was fitting down that hole. So he simply tied the rope off around his wrist so he could feel any tug, and leaned back against the rock wall, looking over at the beautiful ranger not far away at the other hole.

“So you have any plans for all the money we’ll make from this haul?” he asked Temisar.

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2020, 09:49:57 PM »
"I suppose I'm waiting to see how much money we'll actually make before I start planning how to spend it," Temisar told the Sunbrawler. "Did, uh..." the ranger paused, before remembering the name of the woman who went down the other hole "...did Eulalia ever tie herself off to her rope?"