Currently 140 Tralirs

Author Topic: [Quest]: Silver and Gold  (Read 2056 times)

KahlessNestor

• View Profile
Re: [Quest]: Silver and Gold
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2020, 07:29:02 AM »
Giant Armadillo Valley
Afternoon

Theodore shook his head. “I haven’t felt her do it,” he said. “I hope she does. That would be...distressing if she fell.” He peered down the hole. He didn’t want to yell down at her, in case it disturbed the armadillos.

RaWolfe

• Keeper
    • View Profile
    • The Citadel
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2020, 11:57:58 AM »
Climbing through the cave without any safety gave her a feeling of excitement and thrilling to live on the edge. Eulalia looked around for a suitable rock to climb onto and looked back down seeing it was getting a bit steep "Better be careful" Eulalia looked back up and tried her best to not go to much steep as she wouldn't be able to secure herself if something would go wrong. With a few good solid rocks, she moves upwards and got up to the cliff taking a good breather at the entree "Ohh I...need ....some rope..." She felt the sweat going down her back and looked at the Temisar "Whats....up" Taking a deep breath as she points at her belt "got ...two bags...of these mushrooms..." She rolls onto her back to catch her breath "Give me a second..."

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »
Temisar looked first at Eulalia, then at the the Sunbrawler holding a rope he had lowered down the rope for the smaller woman to take a hold of, and then back at Eulalia.

"There are easier ways of doing this, you know," Temisar told her, as she let the smaller woman catch her breath.

"So how many armadillos did you see down there?" the ranger asked. "Fifteen? Twenty? More?"

Temisar gave a tug on the rope she was holding, to signal to the little druid on the other end of the rope that it was time to ascend. "However many, I suggest we head back to the wagon and make camp for the night. Then we can decide if we want to tackle the armadillos, or just take the bags of mushroom and collect the silver they'll pay us for them."

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2020, 11:52:50 PM »
Sascha felt the tug on the rope and quickly grabbed two more mushrooms and stuffed them into the tied up shirt. She then quickly tied it off to the rope and started climbing back up the hole she had descended. When she reached the entrance, she hoisted herself out of the hole and flopped onto her back on the rocky surface. "There ya go... I think... ten per bag?" She said before working on slowing her breath down. "Good?"

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2020, 05:53:36 AM »
"Good," Temisar agreed with a smile. "We were just discussing about whether we should take the mushrooms back, and count our blessings and our profits, or try to take out this armadillo colony. I mean, I wasn't expecting them to be this big! And I've never heard of them living in close quarters like this. They will have the entrances of their lairs close to each other, but this is all of them basically living in one giant lair. I've got no idea how they'll react if we just try taking out one at a time."

"So do we take the mushrooms, not to mention our Sunbrawler friend getting a blue shiny thing on his great sword," the ranger said. pointing at the warrior, "Or do we try to tackle the whole colony? Either way, I suggest we head back to our wagon and camp there for the night. And in the morning, we can tackle the armadillos, or head back to town."

KahlessNestor

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2020, 06:52:59 AM »
Giant Armadillo Valley
Afternoon

Theodore stood there with the rope as Eulalia climbed out of the hole. “Well, okay, then,” he said, starting to wind up the rope. “Camp sounds good,” he said. “It’s getting late. We aren’t really on a time table, so we could take them out one at a time as they come out during the day. Better than getting trampled in a tight space in a cave. More room to move, get out of the way. And we could use that bow of yours and not risk getting close.” He reached down to help Eulalia up to her feet again.

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2020, 04:49:37 PM »
"They're primarily nocturnal creatures, though," Temisar interjected. So we're only going to see just a handful of them come out during the day. And I couldn't tell you how those inside that cave are going to react to the sound of one of them being killed. But you're right," the ranger added. "There was no schedule for this mission." Coiling up her rope, Temisar added, "If there's no objection, this ranger will lead the way. Back to our wagon, that is."

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2020, 01:20:41 AM »
Sascha shrugged and untied herself before coiling up her rope. "As much as I'm not fond of the idea of killing the creatures, we should set up traps around our camp in case they come a knocking while we're resting," she said softly, her voice kind of airy. "I mean, I know <i>I</i> could handle myself, but I don't know how any of you would react to being awoken by a giant armadillo trying to get cozy with you."

KahlessNestor

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2020, 06:25:46 AM »
Giant Armadillo Valley
Afternoon

“Depends. Did they buy me dinner first?” Theodore joked. He helped the ladies climb down the stony cliff again until they were on the forest floor and heading back down the path toward the wagon. “Probably wouldn’t hurt to set watches,” he told them. “Maybe keep the fire going. That would probably keep them away.”

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2020, 08:24:02 AM »
Temisar climbed down on cliffside under her own power. Whatever the Sunbrawler's background, the ranger suspected he had not been climbing up and down or in and out of trees, holes and rocks for all his childhood like she had, just to earn her family a few silver coins. The only differences between the present situation and her gathering ventures as a child, Temisar reflected wryly, was that she was too big to climb down the holes here, and she never had to deal with bear-sized armadillos growing up.

"A fire and watches should suffice," the ranger said as the group got down to the bottom of the cliff. "They would for regular armadillos. They're nocturnal foragers for the most part, and even if these are...what would you call them, suprasized?...I think even these suprasized giant armadillos will stay true to their nature and avoid a fire, especially if there's insects and grubs elsewhere. But I have a small bag of cayenne peppers in the wagon we can lay out around the perimeter of our campsite, that should also act as a deterrent," Temisar added, with a nod to Sascha. Shall we get going?"

The ranger led the group back down the trail, deftly avoiding the trap on the way back to the wagon. Once they got back to the wagon, there was enough daylight left to set up a camp and get a fire going.

RaWolfe

• Keeper
    • View Profile
    • The Citadel
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2020, 10:35:08 AM »
Eulalia didn't respond at once, as she noticed that her stamina was quite low "I need to get some training..."She mutters to herself and not to Theodore as he offered to help her up and grabs his hand to get up. The team, led by Temisar, went back the trail to go set up camp, while on the route she finally spoke "The colony is too big to be even handled by us alone, you saw the size of those things, right mate? We need a coordinated four people attacking format to even break this thing...there like enough in there that the Alderworth guard would be busy with for days"

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2020, 10:53:12 AM »
"We could set up in a tree, or up on top of the cliff, and shoot arrows and drop rocks on them as they come out of the cave, I suppose," Temisar mused, as she idly looked around the perimeter of the camp. "Course, regular giant armadillos have tough shells, and I don't know what the shells on these mutated ones are like. And, to be blunt, I know I could make a headshot through the eye with my bow, but the rest of you...I doubt you have the skill,"

As if to prove her point, Temisar spun around and, in quick succession, shot a squirrel looking down at the camp from a high limb, notched another arrow and shot the squirrel's companion as well. It was a shot that no one except a fellow ranger could have duplicated.

Temisar retrieved the squirrels and began skinning them. As she prepared to roast them over the fire, she continued. "The problem with trying to ambush them at that cave entrance is I suspect the armadillos have made themselves at least one other exit by now. So even if we had the patience, I doubt we could kill them all just sitting at the entrance. We'd probably have to go in. So I say we kill a couple of juveniles, and between their skins and the mushrooms, we make a few silver coins and be happy. And we let the Guard know that there aren't just a couple of armadillos up here, and they aren't anywhere near their normal size."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:55:32 AM by KiDesru »

KahlessNestor

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2020, 07:03:54 AM »
Giant Armadillo Valley
Evening

Theodore trooped down the trail after the others. He started the fire as Temisar hunted squirrels, and pulled out some of the rations they had brought as well. A pair of squirrels weren’t going to serve four people, especially when one was his size.

“Could we find the other entrance?” Theo asked. “Maybe block it up, smoke them out?” he mused. “Could be we just make this cave uninhabitable, and they move on elsewhere.” He looked at the cayenne peppers Temisar had brought. “Burning those in the fire might make some nasty smoke that might foul the cave for a while.”

KiDesru

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2020, 10:42:19 AM »
"Not enough of these to make a difference, smoke wise," Temisar observed at the couple of handfuls of peppers she had brought along, thinking the group might stay a couple of nights, "And those are some big caves. I doubt we could drive them out permanently without burning down have the local forest to produce enough smoke to do so."

Temisar rubbed her chin thoughtfully as she added, "We could drop some bundles of leaves down those mushroom holes to get them to come out during the daytime, see how many there are. And it might even force them to relocate for a night or two. So we could see just exactly how many there are, and maybe even cull a few of the stragglers off the main pack. But that cave is a good den, and animals always return to a good den, even if you make it temporarily uninhabitable. The only way we could stop them returning is burn everything in the vicinity, or kill them all off."

RachOwl

• Oracle
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2020, 04:34:44 PM »
Sascha had followed the others quietly. She didn't like talking about killing the animals, but knew that if they were interfering with anything profitable, eventually someone would come along and cull them. If only she'd learned the ability to talk to the animals. Maybe she could convince them to move to a safer place. But, so far, she'd been unable to do so. Though, she would keep trying.

In the mean time though, she watched as Theodore set up a fire and Temisar killed and skinned the squirrels. Realizing that food would be a good thing to have, Sascha closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and then quietly called out to the spirits of the wood for aid. When she opened her eyes, a small smile spread across her face. The spirits had whispered to her the location and type of some forage nearby.

Taking caution, she moved to the location of the forage and collected all she could carry, thanking the spirits, the plants, and the earth for giving them such a bounty. A few minutes later, she returned to the group with some mushrooms, edible leaves, root vegetables, and just enough berries that each of them could have a handful. "Not much, but enough for a stew," she said as she brought the items closer to the fire. "Does anyone have a stew pot?"

As she prepared the mushrooms and root vegetables, she looked over to Temisar. "Are you going to use their pelts?" She asked the much taller woman. "And could I have their paws?" She chewed her lip a bit. "I would repay you for them, of course, I don't expect to get anything for free."